Loving You is the Right Thing to Do

When we are children we learn the famous Richard Bach quote: "If you love someone, set them free. If they come back they're yours; if they don't they never were."
For so many years now I have heard that mantra winding around my thoughts. Whenever I have a break up with a man, friends who have gone separate ways or just some dream I wanted in life that seemed to come and go. I'm not sure if I always buy in to this thought,but it winds around in there.
It was at my friend Dru's animal rescue that I saw her for the first time. Dru has a a section of her barn that is called "The Puppy Palace." It is where new puppies come in and are put in to quarantine while they are being assessed for health issues. It is not always puppies who come in but any dog who seems like they may be infectious to the main kennel.
I was helping Dru medicate the 35 or so pups when I saw a Jack Russell staring intently at me from one of the upper cages.
"What's that one's deal?" I asked Dru. Often the dogs that show up on her doorstep have some horror story behind them. I have learned over the years to be selective when I ask that question and I mentally prepare myself to start tuning out what she tells me if the abuse is too horrific.
"No deal. She was just found wandering down the road at night. Some man almost hit her and called the police. They brought her here because the SPCA was full. I have her quarantined because she keeps shaking. I'm not sure if she is sick or not. She looks pretty old,though." I peered in. She had white around her muzzle and eyes. With the white and her shaking she seemed to be aged.
I donned the plastic gloves and carefully lifted her from her cage. Often Jack Russell Terriers are aggressive. In my many years around horses I have encountered these little buggers around barns. I think their original purpose was to kill rats and rodents in the barn. Over the years these dogs are still kept within the equestrian circle but have little to do in the modern rodent controlled environments. Therefore that constant kill and destroy urge is usually aimed at hapless barn cats,children or massage therapist who dare to try and shoo them out of the way of a horse. I have come to detest the breed and often refer them as Jack Russell Terrors,exclaiming they have no purpose other than to be part of what horse people deem as a necessary accessory to playing their part in their equestrian persona.
The dog was shaking like crazy. In this breed that is often common. I think it's the adrenaline to bark or bite the crap out of you building up. After I cautiously syringed her meds in to her I examined her all around. Apart from shedding like crazy she was well muscled and a good weight. I slowly went to examine her teeth. The were the teeth of a young dog. Her white hairs around her face and muzzle were misleading. As I parted the hairs on her back I realized she was a brindle. That particular coloring often have that characteristic white around the eyes and muzzle,making them look older. This was a young and quite healthy Jack. As I was ready to put her back in her cage she looked up at me. It was then that I felt it. Her little stump tail was wriggling with happiness. There is no mistaking a happy dog tail. "Hey Dru, we got a nice one!" I exclaimed. Few and far between you encounter a nice Terror dog. She melted herself in to my arms and let out a big sigh as I started to scratch her belly. Dru and I both agreed she was someones well taken care of pet who must of wandered off. She would be claimed in no time.
It was two weeks later that we attended a steeple chase race near our home. Dru brought a few dogs for adoption and I set up an info table for my equissage business.
I was surprised that she still had the Jack Russell with her. Seems no one had come forward to claim her. Dru brought her in the hopes she would be adopted. The fact that we were at an equestrian event was a sure fire hit that would happen.
The moment I settled down in to a chair the little Jack pawed at me to lift her up in to my lap. She settled in and was peaceful. Not one bit of shaking. The dog never left me the entire day. My friend Lauren thought we should call her cinnamon because it looked like she was sprinkled with it throughout her coat. After a few martinis, we were singing the Apple Jacks cereal song at her,"...cinnamon,toasty,Apple Jacks." That was how she became named Apple. I'm not sure if it was because she was on my lap the entire day or if it was her aged appearance but no one took interest in adopting her. She was fussed over and petted a lot but not one adoption interest. She was friendly with children and other dogs. I even walked her around the show grounds. Not one growl or bark. Once again,I marvelled how sweet this dog was.
When we started packing up to leave I picked Apple up to put her in her crate. She looked back at me and started to whine and shake. I agreed to let her ride on my lap back to the farm. That was it. Apple picked me. There was no way I could shove that poor girl back in to a cage. I let Dru talk me in to taking her home and seeing how she adapted. Apple was the dream dog. She not only didn't chase my cats,she slept next to them like they were invisible. She even let my 20 year old deaf cat drink with her out of a shared water bowl.
There was just one hitch. My bunnies. I have two house rabbits who romp free in a spare room.I have a baby gate across the threshold and the cats can come and go as they please. In the 10 years I have had house rabbits I have never had problem with cats and bunnies together. They just seem to know these are house pets and are not prey. Dogs on the other hand...
Apple proved to be no different. The moment she smelled the rabbits I knew her instinct to eradicate my home of these vile lapins was stronger than her love for me or my cats. I closed the bedroom door,fearing she would jump the baby gate. This made my lop eared bun,Grissom,furious. He thumped his back foot all night and chewed at the door. Grissom is like a puppy,himself. He loves to cuddle in bed with me and will follow me when I allow him freedom from his gated room. I really was in a quandary as to what to do.
The next day I took Apple to the farm with me. I asked my aunt Jan if I could keep her in her enclosed yard while I worked with the horses. After a couple hours I wandered up to the house. There was my Uncle Steve napping on the couch. Tucked under his arm snoring away in unison was Apple.
Their beagle had died last month. As long as I can remember they always had dogs. My aunt is a retired dog groomer,so dogs were always a huge part of their life. It seemed weird to be in their house this past month with no dog. Apple woke and trotted over to greet me. She gave out a long yawn and stretch. We walked back to my aunt's bedroom where she was on the computer. Apple ran to Jan and hopped up on to her lap. She curled herself up like a cat, let out a sigh and started to doze again. Jan has huge windows that look out on to the pasture.I could see Sydney and Romeo grazing side by side. I just love their house. Every room has a great view. The weather had taken a cooler turn so they had their wood burning stove going. It made a down-to-the-bone warmth and looking around I just had such a peaceful feeling being inside the place that has become my second home.
"Jan,Apple doesn't like my bunnies. It's not fair to them if I have to keep them locked away. Plus,I work ten hour days.It's not fair to leave a dog home alone for such long stretches. I also plan to travel with horse shows this summer. She needs someone who will give her constant affection. Could I keep her here with you and Steve?"
Jan welled up with tears. "I would love that. I just haven't had the heart to go and pick out a new dog but lo and behold the perfect one just showed up.You are here just about every day so it's not like she wouldn't see you."
It was the right thing to do.
When I got home I changed in to my sweats and crawled back in to bed. As I got nestled in to my pillows Grissom hopped up and nuzzled his way under my arm. Then two of my cats jumped up and settled next to us. Grissom and Kenni started to groom each other in contentment. I grew sleepy with happiness.
Yep,it was the right thing to do.

Comments

C said…
Wow, she's beautiful. And that is the calmest looking Jack Russell I have ever seen.

You did a good thing. :)

~Cindy

Popular posts from this blog

Aint That What You Said?

Face It

Watch This Space