Folk Fest and Other Revivals

Yesterday was the one year mark since I lost Gwen. I have owned several horses over the years but losing Gwen and her brother Merlin four years before her have been the hardest. Maybe because they both were relatively young. Both were 15 and died from colic. No doubt there was some genetic weakness there,though the vet claimed it was just a horrible coincidence. Often I feel that everything in my life seems like a horrible coincidence.

Gene Shay, co-founder and host of the Philadelphia Folk Festival, defined folk music in an April 2003 interview by saying: "In the strictest sense, it's music that is rarely written for profit. It's music that has endured and been passed down by oral tradition. [...] Also, what distinguishes folk music is that it is participatory—you don't have to be a great musician to be a folk singer. [...] And finally, it brings a sense of community. It's the people's music."

I went to the Philadelphia Folk Festival this weekend. The weather was perfect and we had a lot of fun. I met some new people and reconnected with old friends. The cool thing about the Philly Folk Fest is the age range. Whole families come and unlike the type of fests that are more Grateful Dead type-oriented, the crowd is more pleasant and smells a lot better. I am thoroughly convinced that Dead Heads drop acid and smother themselves in that horrid patchouli to cover up the fact that their music is awful and the crowd smells like BO.
Sorry folks, but I could never even remotely like The Grateful Dead.
So, back to the Folk Fest.The weather was perfect! Not too hot and no rain. The fields were firm and you could sit on a blanket without your butt getting soggy. They had a great venue this year and I loved every artist that performed. Folk music is meant to be listened to with a crowd. The energy and Light that comes from the performers is meant to be spread around. This year was a true success in that message.By the end of the weekend I felt like my spirit was renewed and that I reconnected with my former self. I forgot what that felt like.
After the last performance I drove home from Schwenksville, under the light of a waning full moon that was a brilliant orange. I was overwhelmed by how beautiful it was. It seemed like a perfect way to close what had ended up being a great weekend in spite of the anniversary it marked for me. I am so glad I went.
I am finally starting to breathe a little easier. I am surprised at how long it has taken me to really believe Prick is behind bars. I am finally starting to shake that stalked feeling that I didn't even know was there until it finally dissipated.
I took the next two days off work. I have to have some tests and blood work done and figured I could take the time before the back to school crush. If I am motivated enough tomorrow I may take a ride to the beach for the day. One last hurrah of the season.
Not much else is new. I am still riding Veritas and he is wonderful.He really is the kindest horse I have ridden. As out of shape and unbalanced as I am, he just saves me. Any other horse, I would have been tossed off or they would of stopped cold in their tracks and said,"lady,get OFF!" Veritas just trudges on and when we mesh it is perfection. I had him in a perfect cadence trot and when I brought him down to a half halt he let out this huge sigh. I could feel how proud he was that I got it right. How could I not love riding a horse like that?
I think I have found a trainer who is willing to deal with all of my neurosis and understands my anxiety issues.He is a Three Day Eventer himself but seems to understand the goals I want,which do not include cross country cowboying over jumps of death. I strictly want to study dressage and stay on the ground. I decided to wait until September to begin training. One, because the money issue and two,the weather will be cooler. As I get older, I seem intolerant of humidity~and of being broke.
So,I am off to get some blood drawn. What a fun way to spend a morning. I'll cheer it up by seeing my equine man and giving him a bath. He has been rather stinky with this hot weather.LOL.
Peace!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aint That What You Said?

Face It

Watch This Space